The Schrinner Council’s transformation of local shopping strips throughout Brisbane is continuing, with construction underway on Camp Hill’s Martha Street Village Precinct Project.
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said the $1 million dollar investment was part of a $10 million initiative that is improving the city’s suburbs as demand for local cafes, restaurants and retailers grows.
“The number of people shopping and dining in their local suburbs is on the increase and our Village Precinct Projects are helping to make this happen by ensuring our much-loved shopping strips are great places to visit,” Cr Schrinner said.
“The improvements we make as part of these projects make public spaces more attractive and improve accessibility so people want to shop, eat and stay longer.
“The next Village Precinct Project upgrade is Martha Street in Camp Hill, with construction now underway.
“As part of these projects, we work with the community on their vision for the upgrade and will deliver more greenery, footpath improvements, street furniture and new artwork.”
The full list of amenity and safety improvements within the precinct includes:
- upgraded seating and footpaths
- upgraded intersection at Martha Street and Newman Avenue, including new traffic island and line markings
- relocation of the Newman Avenue pedestrian crossing from the eastern side to the western side of the Kelsey Street intersection:
- closer to Martha Street, making it easier and safer for pedestrians to access the shops.
- marked parking bays and a consolidated loading zone to improve accessibility
- new trees, ground cover and shrub plants in new and existing garden beds
- a new single-loop bike rack
- sculptural artworks designed by local artist Simone Eisler. Titled ‘Ride with Me’, these are inspired by the local natural environment and native animal species.
Martha Street, Camp Hill is one of eight Village Precinct Projects currently underway across Brisbane. Other projects are happening at Ashgrove West, Coorparoo, Mansfield, Paddington, Upper Mt Gravatt, Milton and Boondall.
Construction of the Martha Street, Camp Hill Village Precinct Project is expected to be complete by the end of June 2022, subject to weather conditions and Covid-19 impacts.
For more information, visit www.brisbane.qld.gov.au or call Council on 3403 8888.